Evidence that by the end of 2015, Fran will be a transformed woman
1. I will learn to use my Smartphone so that the word 'smart' in its name doesn't make the phone seem so smug and me so technologically stupid. Hopefully, this will also mean that fewer of my friends will get calls where there's only one ring before the call is cut off, and they have to ring me back to say 'Did you want me?' and I have to make up a reason for conversation. One's friends are always so suspicious when one begins with the weather.
2. I will stop pretending that the Baileys in my coffee is just normal cream. I will also alter the proportions of Baileys to coffee so that there is more coffee.
3. Now that I have bought a smaller plate in the attempt to eat less, I will stop piling the food three feet high to compensate. This will mean I will no longer need to eat with my nose in a pile of mashed potato or submerged in a mound of meat and gravy.
4. I will improve my wardrobe and become smarter. To start the process, I will re-sew all the hems of my trousers that I have badly sewn in the past so that the stitches don't show on bright days. I will also use matching cotton this time, not yellow on black.
5. At weekends and on days off, I will stop lying in bed listening to the radio and pretending I'm improving myself culturally, instead of getting up and doing something useful, like making the evening meal.
6. I will phone all the people I have promised to phone, if only to check whether they remembered I promised to phone when I last spoke to them in 1972.
|Fran's friend wondered whether 2015 would be the year she'd call|