Ah, but, those were the days when ....
1. Parents of wayward teenagers who said, sighing with relief, 'Oh, well, at least young Monica's out of danger now she has a reliable typing job' severely underestimated the high induced by sniffing Tippex thinning fluid.
2. If you wanted to murder someone by dropping a typewriter on them from the fourth floor, there were no tricky wires to undo first.
3. You felt like you were working hard even if you weren't really, because anyone making that kind of racket HAD to be getting SOMETHING done. (The same claim has been made for years by men who 'mend' roads by drilling them, despite obviously making the situation worse.)
4. Having to correct the top copy and the four carbon copies underneath one by one was what you did before Zumba was invented.
5. When things went wrong, and the IT man came up and said, 'Try turning it off and turning it on again', you could just say, 'Look, I'll go off for a coffee break, moron, while you look for the switch'.
6.You didn't have to waste energy stirring the sugars into your tea. You just put the sugar in the mug, then put the mug next to the typewriter. By the time you'd typed another letter, job done.
7. The hearing problems you got in your mid-twenties couldn't definitely be blamed on the Bay City Roller concerts and all the screaming, because the typing pool could equally have been to blame.
8. Moving a typewriter from one office to another only needed one secretary, not a whole IT department, four trolleys and the big guy borrowed from Accounts.
9. You could shift your typewriter from one side of the desk to another without pulling out so many wires that you cut off all the electricity in the West Midlands.
10. No one ever accidentally sent a carefully typed letter to all fourteen thousand members of one organisation rather than one close friend saying, 'I think the boss is an arsehole. LOL'
One minor disadvantage .....
|This is embarrassing. How long do I leave it before admitting that my fingers are stuck between the keys|
and I haven't typed anything for three hours?