More clear evidence that Fran is a fashion icon



I've never been more coordinated than I was on Tuesday morning when I went back to school for the first day's teaching of the Autumn Term.

I had four purple things with me.  Here they are:


1.  A purple teacher's planner (meaning, a purple planner for a teacher to use, not a planner for a purple teacher, although read on and you'll see that's not as stupid as it sounds).

They do give out planners at school to each teacher, but none of them are purple.  I think the choice is white or white.  (Wild!)  So, because I think some things in life can't be compromised on, I buy myself a purple planner out of my own money, which leaves me just enough cash left for the month for some small cakes and a packet of Revels, but who needs meat and vegetables anyway?


2. A purple pen.



It's not de rigeur these days to mark in red.  Don't get me started on that topic.

I mark in purple.  This means you can write 'This is TERRIBLE.  Please re-do IMMEDIATELY.  I award this work a Z.'  And it still looks really pretty.


3. A purple top.

This purple top is from Eastex and I bought it a few weeks ago.  Much of my wardrobe of clothes is purple, including my stripey winter cardigans which I wear so often that my year 11 GCSE groups last year said they felt insecure if I came to school in a plain top.  It looks slightly odd here, because I took the picture from the Internet, and it's not on a model or even a mannequin, but just hanging there in mid-air, like a purple ghoul.  (Ah ... I think I hear you say, 'Fran, post us a picture of yourself wearing the top, for you are known at home and abroad as a stunning beauty and we're tired of pictures of Kate Moss.'  But, this time, fans, I will resist.)



4.  A purple toe.


On Tuesday morning, while getting ready for school, I bashed my bare foot into the leg of our wooden bed frame.

Yes.  Ouch, indeed.  I looked like the hunchback of Notre Dame, walking to school, and had to limp around for the whole day from lesson to lesson.  Also, because it was a hot day, I couldn't really hide it in shoes, so I had to wear sandals, with the purple toe on display and shining brightly, like a beacon to the lost.


Still, my stationery, clothes and flesh matched for the day, and that was big fun.

Move along, fashionistas.  Let Fran show you how to do coordination properly.  Matching handbag,
shoes and hat?  SO last year, darling.


PS  If anyone buys Writing Magazine, I'm in the September issue with my prize winning short story called 'Fishing'.  I won £150 first prize in the 2012 New Subscribers Short Story competition.  I am going to spend the money on some thick socks to wear while walking around the bedroom.


Comments

  1. I think we are all supposed to wear purple with a red hat ... SO NOT ME !!!

    I have a large purple bruise on my knee from playing football with the dog and - falling over him.

    Congratulations and enjoy your thick socks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will enjoy my thick socks, thank you. Guess what colour I'll buy ..

      Delete
  2. You are so in, Fashion Maven. All the best people have bruises. I have tons. Simply tons. X always hit his toes on the bed legs. He wrapped them in gauze and taped them. They didn't look very pretty, but he saved his toes so future wives could admire them.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wrapped the bed legs, or the toes?

      Delete
    2. Arrrrrrrgh. I can't believe I wrote that. He wrapped the bed legs.

      Delete
    3. Only kidding. I kind of guessed ...

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4/9/13 15:42

    As a fashionista myself, I find it mandatory that one's toes match her outfit--well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everyone else just thinks their toenails should match. We superior people know that has to extend to the toes themselves.

      Delete
  4. I'll figure out a way to get my hands on a copy of that magazine so I can read your story and help celebrate your achievement. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't steal anything on my behalf. You sound very determined! I think the story might end up on the Writing Magazine website's competition section at some point, so don't risk jail.

      Delete
  5. Your purple credentials could only have been topped by listening to Prince's "Purple Rain" and riding a big purple motorbike. But I won't hold the lack against you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just as well, because if I'd arrived at school on a purple motorbike, I think I would have had a job getting them to concentrate on their semicolons.

      Delete
  6. At 16 I had a fad of listening to Deep Purple records - does that make us sisters?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No non, Fran. Forget the socks. Bright nail polish is much cheaper and prettier. It will attract the eye, and the bruise will be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but what if the nail polish clashes with the bruise? I could get into all kinds of mismatch crises with that one.

      Delete
  8. I'm intrigued; what goes into a purple planner? I'm an ex-planner and I never received a planner of any colour. You might think there would be some sort of reciprocal agreement whereby planners had a purple planner's teacher, but no. Alternatively there may have been a round robin affair with other professions. Perhaps a planner's accountant, an accountant's teacher, a...

    Ahem. So what DOES end up in a teacher's planner?

    Curious Reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you know ... shopping lists ... flower doodles ... Fran & Depp 4 eva. That kind of thing. And, sometimes, lesson plans.

      Delete
  9. Do you think Doris Day had succumbed to a stronger colour, when she made 'Mauve Over Darling'?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Fran, you copycat. I broke my toe by kicking the wardrobe just the other week. Ok, you introduced a bit of originality by substituting the bed for the wardrobe, but otherwise... plagiarism, I think.

    Well done for the story, though! Rich at last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shakespeare stole all his stories. I am only emulating the greats.

      Delete
  11. dedicated to fashion indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much so that I had another call from that model agency tonight, begging me to go and do a fashion shoot for them. They just keep ringing and ringing!

      Delete
  12. I too immediately thought of the purple poem, but not sure you should embrace age so soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to avoid it but it came and embraced me first. Well, when I say embraced, I mean, sneaked up from behind me and GRABBED me round my ample waist.

      Delete
  13. I'm the person that bought your 'Being Miss' book last week. You'll probably have received your cheque from Amazon in the last couple of days. I'm really enjoying it, but I do have one question, are broad beans a common breakfast food down your way?

    I'm going back now to find out what happens after morning break. Thank you for a really amusing read. I especially liked the little Edward/Albert vignette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It makes my little heart go boom-boom-boom when someone's actually reading the book! Are you talking about Fartin' Martin? I think he ate the broad beans the night before. They are LETHAL and the effects last at least 24 hours in little boys. The Edward/Albert thing is true, by the way ... believe it or not.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evidence that Fran is still around

Reasons why Fran is desperately in search of earbuds

Evidence that Fran is looking forward to winter