Evidence that Fran finds the strangest things amusing

These are things which have made me laugh today. It really, as you'll see, does not take much.

1. I noticed a banner advertising a Weight Watchers meeting at a church called St Mary Immaculate.  

2. Someone had discarded a lottery ticket on the pavement, presumably in a fit of pique.  It was labelled, in red letters, 'Lucky Lucky Draw'.  Not that lucky, then.

3. We went on a half-hour barge trip up the Grand Union Canal in Warwick as part of a 'Canal Open Day' event.  A large Texan man with a drawl to die for did the commentary on the history of my local canal.  

4.  I saw these at the Open Day and still don't know why they were there.  Everything else was to do with boats.  Was it because 'goats' rhymes with 'boats'?  


 5. On the bus home, I played 'I've seen you and I know you've seen me and I know you're pretending not to have done' with one of the teenagers from my school.  This happens often.  There's something about being fourteen that means even though you get on well with a teacher, you can't admit to recognising her when she dares to be out of doors at the weekend, living a normal life.  Then, on Monday morning, you yell along the school corridor, 'Hey, MISS!  I saw you on the BUS yesterday!'




Comments

  1. Sometimes it's just as well if they refuse to acknowledge you.
    I was coming out of the liquor store on evening, my arms filled with clanking bottles. Not only did one of my students of that year run up to say hello, she dragged me over to meet her father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny! And just when you don't want bottles to clank, they clank even more. (I am only presuming this to be true, of course. I have no personal experience ...)

      Delete
  2. I don't have to play the I've seen you game because I don't know anyone, and I don't take the bus. My little car will do on my rare outings into my microcosm. I enjoyed your post tremendously, as always.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janie. I have to say, taking the bus has its pros and its cons, but for me, more pros, so I stick with it, and don't miss driving at all.

      Delete
  3. I still remember how weird it felt to see a teacher out in the real world. Who knew they had lives outside the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, it feels as though we don't ....

      Delete
  4. "A large Texan man with a drawl to die for"
    Was he easy to understand?
    Was he another tourist passenger or was that his job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a volunteer on the canal boats. I just found it amusing that he came from so far away and was commentating on my little local canal. He was too big a personality for it! (And he wore an enormous hat.)

      Delete
  5. Seeing people out of context is always freaky. I feel the same way about my curfew officer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet! Anyway, what are you doing out in the first place?

      Delete
  6. I was visiting my Dad yesterday, and he started laughting so hard he had tears - I asked what had set him off and he pointed to the tv. A film was just starting called Yellow Sky - it was in black and white...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is EXACTLY my sense of humour! I am with your dad, all the way.

      Delete
  7. My poor brother (a teacher) was never allowed to forget the day the Saturday girl at the till in Boots was one of his sixth formers. He was buying condoms. Ever after, no school sketch was complete without a lookalike of him carrying a Boots carrier bag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I retired just in time . I worked with pre-schoolers , who would rush up and hug my knees in the street . Retaining my balance became more of a challenge by the time I reached my mid sixties .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh! You paint a very vivid picture!

      Delete
  9. The young deputy head of my childrens' primary school was mortified to see me at the railway station one saturday morning ... he was obviously trying to sneak home after a very heavy night out !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evidence that Fran is still around

Reasons why Fran is desperately in search of earbuds

Evidence that Fran is looking forward to winter