Reasons why Fran can now work in her study again

The Boiler Man has been.

If you want to know why that's even A Significant Thing, see this post from last Sunday

He took out a spanner, said, 'Yeah, I know what this is,' turned a screw, and bingo! The boiler has been renamed Whisperer. I do not have words for the relief I feel. I will just offer you these comparative situations in an attempt to explain.

I get the same level of relief when I ....

- have eaten a bar of chocolate and when I read the calories it says '100' where I was expecting '300'.

- wake up after a dream in which forty children are rioting in my classroom, lobbing doughnuts at each other and shouting 'Out, teacher, out!'

- leap out of bed thinking it's a Friday and that I'm an hour late for school, then realise it's a Saturday

- find a seat on the bus next to a string-thin person so that they don't have to commune with my thigh

- watch a string-thin person get on the bus and take the seat not next to mine

- realise I am in a cafe, alone, with a book, and have forgotten to bring the marking I intended to do

- get a phone call from the administrator at school saying, 'You know we wanted you to cover another teacher's absence and take a Year 9 PE lesson in the last lesson of this afternoon? The teacher came back.'

 - take my shoes off after a day on my feet and snuggle them into soft slippers

- realise that the wasp in my hair isn't a wasp

- get on a train at Leamington with a Prosecco-swilling screeching cussing hen party dressed in pink handkerchiefs who all get off at Banbury 15 minutes later

- find that the homework essay a student accused me of losing was in her bag all along

- snuggle into bed on a winter's night and realise that Book at Bedtime is on the radio and not some late-night unfunny sketch show that Radio 4 has labelled comedy

- realise that the three buzzing flies pirouetting around the room while I try to write/read/mark have finally located the window

- when I realise that I hadn't pressed 'Reply to All' 

Comments

  1. Haha! You do me in Girl. My favourite one is the wasp in the hair. I've often wondered why you hum when you walk. Enjoy your whispering boiler ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wasp in the hair ... it turns me into a leaping dervish.

      Delete
  2. Happy to know that all is well again in your world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rejoicing with you m'dear! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mandy. I'm loving its whispery noises now.

      Delete
  4. If the boiler ain't happy, no one is happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. .. how fabulous your boiler is now whispering.. great news.. xxx Barb xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb. It is indeed good news of great joy and we are grateful to the Boiler Angel for sorting it.

      Delete
  6. The boiler whisperer has tamed the beast. We once had a boiler that sounded like a steam train and could have done with a boiler whisperer then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to kiss him. I didn't, obviously ...

      Delete
    2. Anonymous13/1/17 12:53

      If you had kissed the previous boiler man, you might have gotten a whispering boiler sooner!!

      Delete
    3. I've written that down to remind me next time...

      Delete
  7. I love that moment when the buzzing flies all find the window at once, I get to spray or swat them all at once instead of leaping about the room like a ballet dancer chasing one at a time.
    Thank goodness your boiler got fixed and how lucky thta it was just a loose screw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flies are such a nuisance. There's no ignoring them, and that's the way they like it!

      Delete
  8. That's relief all right lol. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. My heart rate has slowed considerably.

      Delete
  9. Made me think of how we felt when , years ago , our neighbours emigrated .
    Though maybe we were the reason they went ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear ... we had a neighbour once who admitted that, because of the noise our teenagers made, she sometimes went to sit in the bathroom as that was the only place it was quiet. Oops. I still feel bad about that.

      Delete
    2. Mind you, the kids did play drums, piano and flute. That could've contributed.

      Delete
    3. With their musket , fife and drums ?
      Yes , we've had neighbours like that .

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evidence that Fran is still around

Reasons why Fran is desperately in search of earbuds

Evidence that Fran is looking forward to winter