more on bus drivers, with a removal man thrown in for good measure

Back to Warwickshire bus drivers. Got to the bus stop today, and the driver - small, round, about fifty, balding, Cornish-pastie with a pickled onion and pint of Guinness type - was just tapping into his mobile phone. "Be with you in a minute, love," he said, "when I get myself off Facebook".

Facebook?

Now I'm even wondering whether I'm right about the Cornish-pastie. Perhaps I've got him all wrong and he's a rocket-and-anchovy-salad-with-a-coriander-dressing-and-glass-of-Sauvignon type.

The world's gone mad.

It reminded me of the lad who helped us move in to this house a couple of months back. He comes in - tall, thin, nylon tracksuit, Nike cap, the words 'I-like-looking-tough' tattooed down his left arm and the words 'I-like-frightening-people' carved into his army-short hair - and he happens to see Husband's 'Learn Japanese' book in one of the boxes. 'Oh,' he says, 'who's learning Kanji, then?' He and Husband then have a nice intellectual chat about the different Japanese alphabets while I stand there, inadequate and Japanese-challenged.

I do wish, once I've stereotyped people, they would stay where I put them. Most disconcerting.

Comments

  1. So true! People can be quite inconsiderate. They refuse to fit my stereotypes - so I refuse to fit theirs in return. I look meek, mild and conservative, and I love to surprise people with a wry, out-of-the-blue remark. They often don't quite know how to take me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're so similar, Lesley. I look wry and out-of-the-blue most of the time, and I really surprise people when I come out with meek, mild and conservative comments. We must meet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha - I would love to meet some time! If you are ever headed to Dallas, do let me know. I recently renewed my passport, so I just might venture out of the country some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11/2/09 14:08

    haha

    the start sounds rather like dad

    coinsidence? *hmmmm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons why Fran is desperately in search of earbuds

Evidence that we don't always have the right words to say at the right time

Evidence of Fran's near-death experience