How I know I've found a soul mate

I've found someone who's as enthusiastic about buses as I am. Yes, yes, I can hear you saying, 'Oh, so there are two of you in the world? What a coincidence that you should meet.'


I've decided he's a soulmate. Shame I'm already married, then. And shame he's only three-and-a-half.


He's the child of a friend of mine. I met him when I visited her in London, where we used to live, two days ago. She is a teacher at my previous school. She'd warned me by text message, 'Expect to be questioned about your bus preferences'. When she sent the message, I think she was expecting me to react with, 'Oh, damn. How boring will that be.'


She doesn't read my blog.


I got to the house and she made me coffee. Then I sat down. I hardly talked to Bus-Boy's Mum (BM). This is because I mainly conversed with Bus Boy (BB). The following is not a verbatim transcript of what went on, but I think the sentiments behind it are reproduced pretty faithfully ...


BB: Did you come on a bus?
Me: No, not today. But I often go on buses.
BM: Sorry about this. He's really into buses. I did warn you.
BB: I like buses.
Me: I like buses, too. In fact, I love buses.
BM: Don't feel you have to humour him.
BB: My mummy doesn't like buses.
Me: Really? What a silly mummy you have.
BM: Honestly, don't waste your time. He won't shut up about it. Come and have more coffee.
Me: You have lots of red buses here in London, don't you?
BB: I like red buses.
Me: My favourite bus is a gold bus. It's called the G1. 'G' for gold.
BM: It's really sweet of you, Fran, but he'll be fine playing. Come on. Have a biscuit.
BB: A gold bus!
Me: That's right. And it has blue seats. Shiny leather ones.
BB: Do you have any red buses?
Me: No, not where I live.
BB: Do you have any yellow buses?
BM: Darling, I think you should go and watch a video, don't you?
Me: Yes, some children go to school on yellow buses where I live. But no one else is allowed. Just children.
BB: Could I go on a yellow bus?
Me: When you're old enough for school, you could.
BM: So how are things in Warwickshire? Are you enjoying your new job?
BB: Do you have green buses?
Me: No.
BB: Orange buses?
Me: No, no orange ones.
BB: Stripey buses?
BM: Sweetheart, this is getting silly. Go and play on your tricycle.
Me: Stripey buses! Wouldn't that be funny? Buses that look like zebras!
BB: Chortle, chortle. I wish I had a stripey bus.
Me: Me, too. And wouldn't it be funny? The bus would disappear on the zebra crossing!
BB: Chortle, chortle, chortle, giggle, giggle. And what if it was a spotty one?
BM: Darling, I think Fran might want to talk to Mummy a bit now.
Me: That would be fab! We could pretend we were inside a leopard.
BB: (Rolls over laughing.) Inside a leopard! But it would really be a bus! Maybe we'd go to the zoo instead of the bus station!!
BM: How about we go and sit in the garden and let him play with his toys in here?
Me: We'd get to the zoo and they'd let us in because they thought we were a leopard and then we'd be in a cage!
BB: A bus in a cage! Chortle, chortle.
Me: And people would come and look at us and they wouldn't realise they had come to the zoo to stare at a bus! Wouldn't they feel silly when they found out?
BM: I think I'll just go and hang some washing out, if that's okay.
BB: And what if you had a bus with a trunk, like an elephant? Chortle, chortle.
Me: Yes, spraying water over all the other traffic. That would be hilarious.
BM: And then I'll pop down to the shops, if you two are happy.
BB: And everyone would think, 'Oh no, it's raining!'
BM: For a couple of hours, that is. Say goodbye to Mummy, darling. Look after Fran.
BB: But it wouldn't be raining. It would be the elephant bus!
Me: Yes, a big grey one. With flappy ears.
DOOR SLAMS.
BB: My favourite bus is the 267. What's your favourite bus number?

Comments

  1. Sounds like you had a delightful time! We are missing out, here where I live. Yellow school buses and that's about it. We do have fire trucks, though!! The grandbaby and I run out to the front yard whenever we hear a siren. Great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous21/7/09 12:21

    erm... cue giggles in the lighting box again... you've found yourself another fan in our membership secretary / sound operator...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, membership secretary/sound operator. Lovely to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4/3/10 07:21

    I now read your blog!!! I have been tipped off! hope all is well. must catch up soon. love BM
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous/BM - we know each other? Let me think. Barry Manilow?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons why Fran is desperately in search of earbuds

Evidence that we don't always have the right words to say at the right time

Evidence of Fran's near-death experience